Thursday, May 08, 2008

Promoting New Music Thorsday 8th May

Lullaby (Youkali demo)
by becwil and Mojomatic

This is the thirteenth demo piece of our Youkali series. To briefly describe our project, Steven has written 12 poems that form a story of a wistful surreal love affair. There are 14 tunes altogether. The goal is to publish the cycle as a book including a CD of the readings with music.

As I finished mixing the last piece, Steven prepared me for Lullaby by writing, "So. Wow. Here we are at the last poem. [the closing tune yet to come] Who could have thought we'd get here so fast, considering how long we've been working on this. What can I say about this one? I think the title, "Lullaby", says it all. I'm trying to imagine some little different thing we could do with this one. I'd like to hear acoustic guitar. A gentle picking. But I wonder if you could somehow draw on your Southern roots and give it a bluesy feeling. Some interesting bent notes. Maybe I could add some harmonica. But I hear the music in general as plain and folky, with not much adornment. In fact I'd just like to hear voice and guitar in the 1st draft to start and we could see what it might need after that."

Yeah, I'm a southern gal alright, , and my southern roots were into to progressive rock, acid rock, hard rock, and...did I say rock?! Well, I have to also admit that being in the south, I did occasionally hear some blues. So, yes, I can draw on my southern roots, indeed.

In doing that, I put some new strings on my 6-string (hadn't played it in years) and figured out a couple of "bluesy" chord patterns. When Steven liked that rough take enough to add some wonderful blues harp to it, I refined the guitar a bit more and added some "lead" licks (I'm not a lead player), along with a percussion track. Later I added a bassline.

As we release this piece, Steven says, "This was interesting to do. After all the vocal emailing and MIDI revising, to do something with just Bec and me on guitar and harp. I thought of us as some kind of ethernet version of Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. I did originally imagine the music as more of a lullaby (as the title more-than-implies) with possibly a tinker-toy sound. But I'm quite happy with how it turned out because it goes against type. The sense here is about trying to get back to normal after a long and strange love affair. Maybe trying to get some kind of rest, but I think the text and the music hints that the dreams won't exactly be pleasant and there is still something unresolved about it all."

As usual, please critique. We do want critical feedback. Thank you.

Steven Mayoff (Mojomatic): harmonica, poetry, voice
Rebecca Williams (becwil): 6-string guitar, music, mixing

Previously released demos of Searching for Youkali:
Overture
Searching For Youkali
Midnight on the Youkali Express
Youkali Hotel, Room 1308
Urban Idyll
Room Service
Thief
Flesh Museum
Checkout
Crossing
Youkali In Flames
Internet Youkali

Read more about this collaboration here.
===
Beautiful Sunset
The Muir Woods Project # 1
by JodyG

This Piece is part of a larger project Titled, " The Muir Woods Project" Which will consist of several piano solos, from several different pianos. Many times when I purchase a solo piano CD the pieces begin to sound the same. By changing pianos maybe the sound won't sound redundant.

The piano sound I am using on this pticular piece is a softwear instrument, by "Pianoteq" This is a demo version so many notes are absent. Please tell me what you think of the sound of the piano. To Softwearish or realilistic.

Well enjoy Thanks as always
JG
===
Lion
Terra Incognita X
by Narad

X. Wirat or The time has come
===
Pill
The Therapy
by andyfox and rinca

This is my last work with Rinca! Actually I had done this a couple of months ago but I really didn't have time to publish it. I have been away for a while.
This is something electro-house with hi-nrg feeling...

I took some text from the original song then I've build all around it...

Hope you like it!

Cheers

Andy
===
eye
LISTEN2
by RiGee

Listen2
===
eye
Bell Play
by RiGee

Bell Play
===
14. Happy Birthday SISCOM GURU
by THE_SISCOM_GURU, Mystified and particledots

Mystified got a hold of SISCOM GURU's track and sent this special mix for his 21st Birthday

Thank you Cat
===
13. Running Girl
by THE_SISCOM_GURU, Geechi3 and particledots

Here is a long forgotten version resurrected for the sake of completion of the series

Vocals - geechi3
Music - particledots
===
12. meditating on white noise
by THE_SISCOM_GURU, Choirbox and particledots

Thank you to Choirbox for the fabulous vocals and for allowing me to take liberties with them.

Music/Instruments/Acoustic Guitar Programing - particledots
Vocals - Choirbox

No comments: