- Vanhao Tran My case Lenti Lenko
Food, per head per week, was 2kg rice, 5 packets of instant noodle, a can of spam, a kg of dried salted fish so mouldy that we needed to wash the maggots away before re-drying. Those with relatives in US or France would buy extra food for themselves. The rest (90%) would make do with what we had.
Accommodation was barracks about 50m long, with 2m wide raised platforms either side. We were allocated about 1m each, no privacy except makeshift curtains between families.
Water needed to be fetched from tanks, 1 per 25 barracks so you can imagine the queue. We had 1 TV for those same barracks, and it was turned on a few hours per night.
Curfew was 11pm and if you are found outside after, often you would get flogged to a pulp. Not that it deterred the young ones seeking some moments together.
How Manus again, Paul Allen?
- Vanhao Tran We put in application for refugee status and waited for resettlement. If you have family in US or army ties then you specify that, but otherwise we are at the mercy of the future host. We had to learn English (or French if you intend to go to France or Canada). The countries conducted interviews with various frequency. US was usually monthly, whereas countries like Norway or Sweden did theirs every 6 months.
Not every one was successful and those fleeing after 90-91 often waited for years. I know of a few who waited for more than 10 years in Palawan (Philippines) before repatriated to VN.
- John Tran It's ever so sad when you think people will use other people's misery as a political attack than actually wanting to help.. The first thing is to stop people drowning and not let Indonesian smugglers see any incentive.. The second objective is to let our immigration department do it's job by focusing on refugees in actual camps nearer to areas of conflict and allow them determine cases that need urgent attention. That being done.. Some will love for more people to drown and turn their country upside down just to claim some victory, only someone with a twisted mind can do that..
- Baz Hurst Interesting theory Vanhao Tran you dont want people to drown right?...you ...."hate Abbot therefore his policies suck"....right?... before Abbot Policies were put in place, over 1100 people drowned at sea, ..... since Abbots policies were put in place...NOT ONE person has drowned at sea.....REALITY CHECK... have another think about it
- David Daniel Ball Baz, in English there are many ways of expressing ones self. Following Van's argument, he was not despising Abbott, but pointing out the tired old lefty attitude that involves playing the man, not the policy. I value Van's contributions even if he had meant it the way you have read it. Did you complete year 10 studies?
- Baz Hurst so you say David. But apparently you can get away with bagging people like that....so tell me....Oh Mighty one.... how do you interpret this...................Hear Hear Sarah Hansen Young ""Refugees are now being treated by this Government worse than mass murderers and rapists," ? am I agreeing or disagreeing with the quote?.... please educate those less fortunate..
- Baz Hurst thats fine Stephanie, youv'e got a job to do, no worries. ... I've been on this page a long time......because I am a Bolt supporter, and up to now, also a supporter of David Ball...best youv'e got david is to call someone you disagree with (for what ?)...uneducated?... sad mate.. I responded to a quote, and got blasted, I responded to the blast and added an example..... quite simple really, it's quite simple even for the uneducated, I'm sure you adults will work it out
- Baz Hurst Stephanie, David was purring along nicely with a spiel ...then ended it with " you did finish year 10 didn't you"? ... you want me to send him a bouquet of flowers?.... And to date..NOBODY has been able to correct what I responded to., not even Professor Ball.... I DO understand though... it is difficult for those with a superiority complex conceding to the great unwashed
- Vanhao Tran Go to sleep Baz. Come back when you are less highly strung
It was never my intention to upset or mislead anyone, or at least I thought I was quite clear. A confession here, I have a mancrush on the mad monk and a deep respect for our little Johnny. As for Brown, Milne, Bandt, SHY and the Greens, they are good for one thing - compost!
- Brad McShane See the thing that i've always found bizarre is, the fact that the Lefty's come to our pages and have these "arguments" and claim that us Conservatives are all manner of things under the sun, yet how many of us here spend a second of our day on their sites arguing them????
Very few, if any
- Vanhao Tran Thanks David Daniel Ball. Must be the Viet in me I cut some slack for Baz only because he is passionate and we do share an intense hatred of the bullshit that is spewed by the socialist left/green. Who knows, he may even shout me a beer if we ever met (hint Baz Hurst)
sad .. some people have no idea what they say, what it means.