Friday, August 04, 2006

More Manly Ferry

NSW Liberal Leader Peter Debnam, Shadow Minister for Transport Barry O'Farrell and Liberal Candidate for Manly Mike Baird today announced a Liberal Government would purchase an additional, modern large-capacity ferry for use on the Manly to Circular Quay route.

"This additional ferry will significantly increase the frequency of services between Manly and Circular Quay from the current 30 minute intervals," Mr Debnam said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"While the Labor Party plans to privatise Sydney Ferries, I believe it's critical we invest instead of divest," he said.

"I will not only invest in new vessels, I will also ensure Sydney Ferries is retained as an efficient and effective arm of our integrated public transport system.

"In addition to the upgrade of the ferry fleet, I will purchase an additional Freshwater-type large ferry for the Manly to Circular Quay run.

"More frequent services will significantly reduce overcrowding, particularly on the morning and evening peak services.

"More services will also attract new passengers, taking pressure off the overloaded bus and road network.

"Sydney has the best harbour in the world and Manly and Northern Beaches residents should have a world class ferry service," he said.

Mr O'Farrell said ferry services between Manly and Circular Quay must include a mix of both high-speed and conventional vessels. It's essential both options are provided at the highest standard to ensure reliability, frequency and choice.

"We will announce further measures to improve Sydney's high-speed and conventional ferry services in the month's ahead," Mr O'Farrell said.

"Morris Iemma, Carl Scully, Michael Costa and John Watkins have failed to invest in Sydney Ferries over 12 years, resulting in 400,000 fewer passenger journeys over the last two years, while at the same time increasing fares by as much as 89% since 1996.

"Thirty-three ferry and JetCat services each week have been lost since 1997.

"Commuters expect clean, safe and reliable services and Labor simply isn't delivering.

"Ferry cancellations are up 94% in the last two years; there's been several major safety incidents; and Sydney Ferries has had three CEOs so far this year," Mr O'Farrell said.

Mr Baird said the people of Manly have been taken for granted by Labor for 12 years.

"Along with my Northern Beaches Liberal colleagues, I have spoken to Peter Debnam and Barry O'Farrell about extra Manly ferry service and I'm pleased they listened and acted," Mr Baird said.

Mr Debnam said as part of the NSW Liberal/Nationals strategy of supporting the state's shipbuilding industry a tender will be offered to construct the vessel with a preference for NSW shipbuilding businesses.

"Options for acquisition of a suitable modern second-hand vessel will also be investigated. The one-off initial cost is estimated to be at least $10 million.

"NSW deserves higher standards, better services and balanced budgets," Mr Debnam said.

cranjawi said...

Bring back the South Steyne! It's sitting in Darling Harbour ready to go for the right price. Cheaper than buying another and people would flock to the Manly route then given its history, appeal and functionality.