Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Daily Devotional Wednesday 7th September

“Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.” John 14:23 NIV
===
Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon

Morning

"In the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world."
Philippians 2:15

We use lights to make manifest. A Christian man should so shine in his life, that a person could not live with him a week without knowing the gospel. His conversation should be such that all who are about him should clearly perceive whose he is, and whom he serves; and should see the image of Jesus reflected in his daily actions. Lights are intended for guidance. We are to help those around us who are in the dark. We are to hold forth to them the Word of life. We are to point sinners to the Saviour, and the weary to a divine resting-place. Men sometimes read their Bibles, and fail to understand them; we should be ready, like Philip, to instruct the inquirer in the meaning of God's Word, the way of salvation, and the life of godliness. Lights are also used for warning. On our rocks and shoals a light-house is sure to be erected. Christian men should know that there are many false lights shown everywhere in the world, and therefore the right light is needed. The wreckers of Satan are always abroad, tempting the ungodly to sin under the name of pleasure; they hoist the wrong light, be it ours to put up the true light upon every dangerous rock, to point out every sin, and tell what it leads to, that so we may be clear of the blood of all men, shining as lights in the world. Lights also have a very cheering influence, and so have Christians. A Christian ought to be a comforter, with kind words on his lips, and sympathy in his heart; he should carry sunshine wherever he goes, and diffuse happiness around him.

Gracious Spirit dwell with me;

I myself would gracious be,

And with words that help and heal

Would thy life in mine reveal,

And with actions bold and meek

Would for Christ my Saviour speak.

Evening

"If ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."
Galatians 5:18

He who looks at his own character and position from a legal point of view, will not only despair when he comes to the end of his reckoning, but if he be a wise man he will despair at the beginning; for if we are to be judged on the footing of the law, there shall no flesh living be justified. How blessed to know that we dwell in the domains of grace and not of law! When thinking of my state before God the question is not, "Am I perfect in myself before the law?" but, "Am I perfect in Christ Jesus?" That is a very different matter. We need not enquire, "Am I without sin naturally?" but, "Have I been washed in the fountain opened for sin and for uncleanness?" It is not "Am I in myself well pleasing to God?" but it is "Am I accepted in the Beloved?" The Christian views his evidences from the top of Sinai, and grows alarmed concerning his salvation; it were better far if he read his title by the light of Calvary. "Why," saith he, "my faith has unbelief in it, it is not able to save me." Suppose he had considered the object of his faith instead of his faith, then he would have said, "There is no failure in him, and therefore I am safe." He sighs over his hope: "Ah! my hope is marred and dimmed by an anxious carefulness about present things; how can I be accepted?" Had he regarded the ground of his hope, he would have seen that the promise of God standeth sure, and that whatever our doubts may be, the oath and promise never fail. Ah! believer, it is safer always for you to be led of the Spirit into gospel liberty than to wear legal fetters. Judge yourself at what Christ is rather than at what you are. Satan will try to mar your peace by reminding you of your sinfulness and imperfections: you can only meet his accusations by faithfully adhering to the gospel and refusing to wear the yoke of bondage.

===

Today's reading: Psalm 148-150, 1 Corinthians 15:29-58 (NIV)

View today's reading on Bible Gateway

Today's Old Testament reading: Psalm 148-150

1 Praise the LORD.

Praise the LORD from the heavens;
praise him in the heights above.
2 Praise him, all his angels;
praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
3 Praise him, sun and moon;
praise him, all you shining stars.
4 Praise him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.

5 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for at his command they were created,
6 and he established them for ever and ever-
he issued a decree that will never pass away....

...read the rest on Bible Gateway

Today's New Testament reading: 1 Corinthians 15:29-58

29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? 30 And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? 31 I face death every day-yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

"Let us eat and drink,
for tomorrow we die."

33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."34 Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God-I say this to your shame....

===

Zacharias

[Zăcha rīas] - jehovah is renowned.

  1. The son of Barachias, or Jehoiada (2 Chron. 24:20-22). This Zacharias is the martyr mentioned by Christ (Matt. 23:35; Luke 11:51) who was the righteous man murdered by the Jews in the court of the Temple, between the sanctuary and the house.
  2. The father of John the Baptist (Luke 1:5-67; 3:2).

The Man Who Was Stricken Dumb

The priest of the eighth course of Abia was visited by the angel Gabriel as he was ministering in his turn in the Temple. The revelation came to him about the birth of a son in his old age, and of his name and mission. His disbelief of the divine message was punished by dumbness, an affliction which vanished when John was circumcised and named.

In obedience to Gabriel's command, the babe was named John, and upon his presentation to God, Zacharias, by the Spirit, composed his magnificent Benediction. After this he vanishes from Holy Writ.

3. The name suggested for John the Baptist by his friends (Luke 1:59).

===

September 6, 2011

The Power of the Holy Spirit in You!

Sharon Jaynes

Today's Truth

Jesus said, "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you" (Acts 1:8 NIV).

Friend to Friend

"I'm not good enough." Have you ever said or thought those words?

The truth is if you have made Jesus the Lord of your life, then you have the power of the Holy Spirit living in you and working through you. Jesus said, "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you" (Acts 1:8). You have God's incomparably great power at your disposal. "That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms..." (Ephesians 1:19-20 ). The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work within us? Yep. The same power.

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth" (don't you just love it when He says that), anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these because I am going to the Father" (John 14:12 ). Did He just say that? Yep. What does going to the Father have to do with the power we receive? Because once Jesus went to the Father, the Holy Spirit came to live in believers. "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-the Spirit of truth" (John 14:15-16).

Holocaust survivor Corrie ten Boom spent the last years of her life speaking to men and women all around the world about the God who sustained her during her imprisonment and who delivered her from the Nazi prison camps. During one of her presentations, she held up a lady's white glove.

"What can this white glove do?" she asked. Then she went on to explain...

"The glove can do nothing. "Oh, but if my hand is in the glove, it can do many things...cook, play the piano, write. Well, you say that is not the glove but the hand in the glove that does it. Yes, that is so. I tell you that we are nothing but gloves. The hand in the glove is the Holy Spirit of God. Can the glove do something if it is very near the hand? No! The glove must be filled with the hand to do the work. That is exactly the same for us: We must be filled with the Holy Spirit to do the work God has for us to do."

It is time to see yourself as God sees you. No more living in a house of mirrors looking at a distorted image of who you are. This is how God sees you.

You are a child of God. John 1:12

You are justified- completely forgiven. Romans 5:1

You are free from condemnation. Romans 8:1

You have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16

You have been made righteous. 2 Corinthians 5:21

You have been blessed with every spiritual blessing.Ephesians 1:3

You are righteous and holy. Ephesians 4:24

You have been redeemed and forgiven of all your sins.Colossians 1:14

You are a dwelling place for Christ. He lives in you. Colossians 1:27

You are complete in Christ. Colossians 2:10

You are chosen of God, holy and dearly loved. Colossians 3:12

You have been given a spirit of power, love and self-discipline.2 Timothy 1:7

You have been given exceedingly great and precious promises by God by which you are a partaker of God's divine nature. 2 Peter 1:4

And that, my friend is only the beginning! Say these verses out loud. Speak to your soul. Believe the truth about who you are. You are more than good enough because of who lives in you and works through you.

Let's Pray

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for sending the Holy Spirit to live in me, to work through me, and give power to me. I pray that I will plug into the power source every day. Forgive me when I act like a powerless spiritual invalid rather than a spirit-empowered soldier. Regardless of what my feelings tell me today, I choose to believe that I am a dearly loved, chosen, holy child of God who is enveloped by Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Now It's Your Turn

I've given you a lot to think about today. Go back up to the verses listed in today's devotion and put a check by the ones that you have a difficult time believing for yourself. Now, choose to believe the truth, regardless of how you feel. When you choose the truth, you will be renewing your mind!

Check out Romans 12:2 to learn what happens when we renew our minds with the truth.

If you will stand with me and start believing the truth about who you are, then give a shout out atwww.facebook.com/sharonjaynes. Simply enter, I'm believing I am who God says I am!

More from the Girlfriends

Today's devotion was taken from Sharon's book, "I'm Not Good Enough"...and Other Lies Women Tell Themselves. If you would like to learn more about how to overcome the lies of the past, visit her website. While you're there, check out the laminated prayer card with Scripture verses about Who You Are in Christ. This inexpensive book tucker will help you remember to see yourself as God sees you.

Seeking God?

Click here to find out more about

how to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Girlfriends in God

P.O. Box 725

Matthews, NC 28106

info@girlfriendsingod.com
www.girlfriendsingod.com

===
P31Header
Lysa TerKeurst

September 6, 2011

Being Thankful Changes Everything
Lysa TerKeurst

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12 (NIV 1984)

It was 1992. I sat on the bed, tears streaming down my face, negative thoughts racing through my mind...Why does marriage have to be so hard sometimes? Why can't he see my side of things? Why won't he change? Maybe I married the wrong man.

This was a scene repeated over and over the first five years of my marriage. I was discouraged, overwhelmed and so tempted to give up.

But here I am 19 years later, feeling so thankful I didn't walk away.

Ephesians 6:12 has reminded me over the years that my husband isn't my enemy. Art may feel like my enemy, but the truth is Satan is the real enemy who hates marriage and schemes against my husband and me.

Satan's goal is always to be one who casts something between two to cause a separation.

Satan wants to separate us in every way. He wants to separate us with conflict, hurt feelings, misunderstanding, and frustrations of all kinds.

He wants to separate us from our neighbors, our friends, our co-workers, our parents, our spouses, our kids.

He wants to separate us from God's best. He wants to separate us from God's heart.

One of the strategic ways Satan starts these separations is by luring us into a place of grumbling and complaining. If he can get us to focus on what is aggravating and downright negative in life, then little cracks of distance start forming in our relationships.

The grass starts looking greener everywhere else except where we are standing.

I can see this so clearly when I look back on the first five years of my marriage. Somehow, I became so hyper focused on all I felt was wrong with my husband, I became blinded to all that was good.

I grumbled and complained and nagged and set out to change him.

And I almost destroyed my marriage in the process.

Satan had a field day as the separation between Art and I kept ever widening. We went to counseling but my heart was so hurt-so hardened, I refused to connect on any level. I was bitter, grumpy and miserable.

Then one day as I was in a fit of tears asking God to please make things better, I felt challenged to start listing out things about Art that for which I was thankful.

It was hard at first. I had bought Satan's whispers seeing only the negative and believing there was very little positive to find.

But, with each positive quality I listed, slowly my perspective changed. It was as if the clouds of negativity lifted and I could see his good qualities once again.

How sad that I spent five years thinking the grass would be greener somewhere else. Now I know the grass is always greener where you water and fertilize it. And being thankful - really intentionally listing out things for which we are thankful - is a great way to start watering and fertilizing. It changes everything.

Dear Lord, thank You for helping me see how beneficial it is to be aware and appreciative of the good qualities in those I love. Lord, help me to recognize Satan's schemes and combat them with the power of having a truly thankful heart. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Lysa TerKeurst and Ann Voskamp invite you to join them tonight, Tuesday, September 6, 8-9pm EST for a free live webcast to prayerfully come before God, and say a wholehearted "Yes" to Him. Just one night/one hour. If you've been looking for a fresh igniting of your soul, don't miss this! For more information click here.

Lysa's book, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God now has a 6 week DVD teach series that is perfect for women's Bible Study groups. For more information click here.

When you purchase resources through Proverbs 31 Ministries, you touch eternity because your purchase supports the many areas of hope-giving ministry we provide at no cost. We wish we could, but we simply can't compete with prices offered by huge online warehouses. Therefore, we are extremely grateful for each and every purchase you make with us. Thank you!

Application Steps:
Every time a negative, separating thought comes into your mind today, intentionally combat it with something for which you are thankful about that person.

Reflections:
How does it make me feel to dwell on what I wish was different about another person?

Could this devotion showing up in my inbox today be a reminder from God that there are positive things for which I can be thankful?

How does having a thankful heart change things?

Power Verses:
Philippians 4:6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (NIV 1984)

2 Corinthians 4:15, "All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." (NIV 1984)

© 2011 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries
616-G Matthews-Mint Hill Road
Matthews, NC 28105
www.Proverbs31.org

===
eTeacherBiblicaleTeacherGroup

Receive a designed

T-SHIRT!

Receive a designed T-SHIRT
eTeacher Biblical
eTeacher HebrewReceive a designed T-SHIRT

Join one of our online Biblical Hebrew courses and

Receive a designed T-SHIRT!

This beautiful GIFT is waiting for You!

Click HereeTeacherBiblical
eTeacherBiblical

===

What are the different kinds of psalms?

This week's reading: Psalm 3:1

There are many ways to categorize the psalms. Some focus on content (trouble or trust, praise or prayer, joy or repentance). Others emphasize the use of the psalms (public ceremonies, private prayers and so on). Still others analyze style and technique (such as parallelism and acrostics). Here are some general categories:

(1) Hymns of praise. Many psalms were used in temple worship and some even include directions for the song leader. Many are still used as the basis for hymns and praise choruses.

(2) Complaints. Life is tough and many of the psalms reflect that fact. People turn to the psalms in times of distress because the psalms dare to be honest and meet them right where they are.

(3) Royal or Messianic. Many psalms revolved around the king and were intended to be used for public occasions in the life of the nation of Israel. Early Christian teachers, however, recognized that these psalms contained prophetic allusions to Jesus Christ, the King of kings.

(4) Occasional. Referred to as songs of ascent (Ps 120-134), these psalms were so named because they were sung by Israelite pilgrims as they went up to Jerusalem for the annual feasts. Other special occasions often had their own psalms as well.

(5) Wisdom. A few psalms illustrate the difference between human folly and godly wisdom, between sinful and righteous behavior.

Other categories could also be listed: historical, repentance,curse and creation.


NIVSocialicons

ADVERTISEMENT


Today's reading is from the
NIV Quest Study Bible
by Zondervan


This unique Bible addresses the common, uncommon, and perplexing questions people ask about Scripture.


===



No comments: