Saturday, December 13, 2008

Headlines Saturday 13th December

More rights for unelected judges
Andrew Bolt
The Rudd Government is now pushing a bill of rights that would give unelected judges more over elected politicians in deciding public policy. This has long been the dream of many in the Left, who arrogantly believe the views of an unrepresentative cultural elite should prevail over the wishes of a majority of voters.

Paul Kelly is scathing:

This brings us to the real heart of the conflict: the “charter of rights” culture that almost totally infects Australia’s legal system, from university tuition to the High Court. This corrosive culture cannot conceive that representative democracy is the best means of guaranteeing human rights. Distrust of elected government, hostility to executive authority and ignorance about the vast array of measures in Australian governance that safeguard human rights typifies the legal culture.

Judicial activism is the exploding feature of Australian governance. Yet it has not and it cannot solve the problem. Resort to even more judicial activism will create a huge churn of red tape and fat lawyers. It will not assist human rights. This reality is obvious but neither the ego nor the self-interest of the legal profession will concede it.
===
A dam would have been safer
Andrew Bolt
One reason the Labor Government wouldn’t build water-rationed Melbourne a new dam in Gippsland was that it was sure global warming was drying up the rain. Today’s news:

The rainfall in some parts of the state yesterday exceeded the rainfall for entire months… The State Emergency Service has urged anyone planning a weekend on the water to be careful, with warnings of damaging winds and flash flooding in Gippsland.
===
Keep it on culture
Andrew Bolt
The Sydney Morning Herald’s Adele Horin thinks Jews and Asians may just be wired differently:

There is much debate as to why Chinese - and Jewish - parents rate education so highly. Is it genetic?
===
How dare they arrest me
Andrew Bolt
The whole case is about victimhood:

JOAN OF ARC was a teenage heroine until she was burnt at the stake for heresy at 19. At the same age, Iktimal Hage-Ali was well on her way to becoming a feted Australian - and a “role model” for young Muslims - until her reputation was torched in a blaze of headlines about a cocaine bust....

Hage-Ali’s friends have suggested, anonymously, that she was arrested and persecuted because of her thoroughly modern approach to Islam.
===
Fight the ETS
Andrew Bolt
Jennifer Marohasy asks me to pass this on:

I am the Chair of The Australian Environment Foundation and we are planning an Internet campaign to oppose the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) proposed for Australia on the basis:

1. An ETS will not change the global temperature;

2. Will force many clean and green Australian industries overseas; and

3. Will make Australians poorer...
===
Hillary will win, and other duds
Andrew Bolt
Foreign Policy lists the 10 worst predictions for 2008.
===
Not minding their business
Andrew Bolt
John Roskam is spot on:

What are business organizations for? Do they exist so their chief executives can sit on government advisory boards and have afternoon cocktails at the Lodge? Or is their purpose to forthrightly represent the interests of enterprises and employers? If the answer is the latter, then lately the performance of the nation’s business organisations has been none too brilliant.

Nothing in Canberra is more predictable (and, in a sad way, amusing) than seeing peak industry associations giving wholehearted support to Australian Labor Party policies only to later complain when things don’t go as planned. As yet no business organisation boss has admitted to their membership: ‘‘Oops, I got it wrong, we’ve been done over - maybe next time I won’t be quite so eager to ingratiate myself with the government.’’

Politically, full credit must go to the Prime Minister and his ministers. Labor has played the business lobby brilliantly.
===
No self-defence for an armed robber
Andrew Bolt
Surely no armed robber who kills to escape arrest can plead “self defence”:

A MASKED robber who fled with just $195 before using a fence paling to kill a newsagent was jailed for at least 7½ years yesterday.

Steven Momir Katic, 31, was acquitted of murder but convicted of the manslaughter of Chinh Nguyen, 41, at Glenfield in Sydney’s southwest in February last year. .. - I know Steve. I was a beginning (temporary) teacher at Steve's school many years ago. Steve would not bring equipment to class. Not a pen, paper or ruler. As a beginning teacher, I asked my head teacher what I was expected to do. I was told I was not allowed to let Steve get away with not working, but I couldn't penalize him for not being able to do the work. I was advised I might put him on detention (once) for not bringing any equipment. So I told him that he was on detention, one class, for not bringing anything to class with which to work with.
In following days, I would ask Steve why he had not come to detention, and I would ask him to see me at the right time at lunch, or before school. He wouldn't come.
I was told by my head teacher there was a complaint against me by Steve's mother. She was concerned that I was harassing Steve. She said he could never go to lunch or morning tea without facing the fear of my asking him to serve a detention. She demanded my resignation as she was concerned that Steve, who had improved since he was caught stealing cars when he was in year 8 would fall on old habits if I continued to ask him to serve a detention.
Shortly after, I was transferred from the school to a permanent appointment.
I have followed this case with some interest. I knew that newsagent. He was a lovely man who deserved much better. - ed.

No comments: