Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nomination Day 10th March

Nomination Day for the 2011 NSW election was March the tenth. I am one of eight candidates competing for Fairfield at the election. I will be 8th on the ballot. Charbel Saliba, a Liberal I support will be first on the ballot. A Christian Democrat will be 7th. I don't endorse any of the others, but wish them well.
I got the necessary signatures in time. I needed 15. I came with twenty five. I understand all were valid. Ten came from a Fairfield kebab shop who held a party to collect the signatures. Many wanted to contribute, and it was decided by them that two from each family would do so. It is an important trust I value. Another four signatures came from my best friend and his family. Still others from my church, the Jesus Family in Cabramatta. The 14th and 15th signature came from the block of units where I live. I walked up twelve flights of steps to collect them. I walked twice to Fairfield on the tenth to finalize the nomination.
===
Gillard got too many free passes from the press
blogs.news.com.au
Piers has been one of The Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph's best-read columnists since 1993. One of the nation's most respected journalists he has worked in New York, London, Washington and Los Angeles.
3 hours ago · · · Share
  • Jane McDonnell and Carl Cord like this.
    • David Daniel Ball
      Gillard has been given way too many free passes from the press, but that is an ALP story. A dramatic interrogation technique is merely to let your opponent talk. If they say something it will often have a tale to what they are thinking and attempting. So often the ALP get away with not saying anything. Frequently, when watching an ALP leader being interviewed they will dance around a question without actually answering it. Conservatives get grilled by the press in such circumstances, but the cheer squads are careful not to upset the ALP. A powerful media failure occurred when Kerry O'Brien accidentally asked Rudd a question which Rudd accidentally answered. Within weeks Rudd was replaced.
      I posed a question to Gillard which channel 7 screened back in 2007. It is still publicly available on youtube, under the heading Gillard Sunrise IR Challenge. Some of her minders had a go at meeting the challenge unofficially before giving up altogether and pretending they have never seen it. Thing is, Gillard made promises about IR policies that have never been met.
      Gillard has made promises about education reforms which never happened. She promised fairness for asylum seekers which never eventuated. We were assured by a gushing press that she was a policy dynamo. But it is more a policy black hole.
      In running for government in Blaxland electorate (including Bankstown and parts of Fairfield in Sydney) my ALP opponent was unable to campaign as he was by Gillard's side and the press ignored the campaign in Blaxland, local papers not covering what the candidates were doing. However Gillard took the time to talk about the dignity of those in having work .. I feel that was a clear reference to me. I have not been able to work because of ALP corruption.
      Now a state election is coming by and the local press look like not covering Fairfield. I am running in Fairfield. My ALP opponent responded to two questions from me on nomination day. Guy Zangari (the Tripodi replacement) heard me about his sign being placed outside my address. He didn't promise to remove it and I didn't ask, but it was gone the next day. He also heard me about my testimony regarding the death of Hamidur Rahman which could exonerate his parents of blame by the coroner.
      Liberal Charbel Saliba got first on the ballot for Fairfield. I hope Charbel wins. I am only running to inform others of the Hamidur issue. If I win I will follow a Liberal policy line.
      Zangari hasn't had to answer any questions and may not be asked any. Thing is the press are really scared of a total route of the ALP and they are campaigning hard to keep the ALP a lower house presence and an upper house force. The media campaign involves not talking about ALP stronghold electorates, like Fairfield. They aren't asking the ALP questions.
===
Meanwhile in Fairfield Charbel Saliba placed first in the ballot. I placed last (out of eight). Christian Democrats placed seventh. I wish all my fellow candidates well. I spoke with ALP's Guy Zangari and told him about his posters outside my residence. He didn't promise to remove them, but they disappeared the next day. I also told him about my issue of Justice for Hamidur Rahaman's parents.
fairfield-advance.whereilive.com.au
THE Christian Democratic Party draws top position on the ballot paper for the State Election while the Liberal draws last.
11 hours ago · · · Share
===
On completing the nomination I was made aware of an important issue. I need to have an agent to handle my campaign finances. I needed to have that finalized before the end of the day. I did not intend to raise money or spend much. I had to go to work in the evening. So I am in breach of electoral funding law possibly for the entire election period because of something I didn't know and couldn't address.
I am running to raise the issue of Justice for Hamidur Rahman's parents. I am not trying to win. But I am keen in getting the press to report on the issue.
===
I was lucky enough to meet with Guy Zangari the ALP candidate for the ballot draw. I spoke with him about the sign outside my residence which has since been removed. He didn't promise to remove it and I didn't ask, but it is done. I also spoke to him about Hamidur. He claimed he knew all about it. I doubt that, but here is hoping he will listen. It is irritating that the ALP take their constituents for granted. If I am elected I hope to act for the benefit of all my constituents, including the ALP.
===
I think this candidate is good value. I want your vote for David Daniel Ball for Fairfield 2011 I think you should then vote for Charbel Saliba, Liberal for Fairfield and then this candidate.
Thursday at 22:50 · · · Share
    • Margaret Nelson What do you stand for? What are you aiming to achieve if you're elected? =]
      Thursday at 23:03 ·
    • David Daniel Ball
      I am a Christian and would have run as a Christian Democrat had I not wanted to pursue the single issue I am. But I would not have been running but for Hamidur Rahman. My policies are Liberal Party ones .. I believe in small business and small government. I like cultural diversity and migration and like the role Fairfield plays in welcoming people to Australia. I think basic services need to be supported with targets for welfare which is a big need in Fairfield. My policies favour secularism although I am a Christian. As a Christian I worry when Australia leans to the godless away from God. But I have faith in the nation as set up by the constitution writers that through fairness and opportunity a better world and a world conducive to knowing God will eventuate.
      Thursday at 23:09 · · 1 person
    • Margaret Nelson ‎=] Well put! All the best with the race... It's about time we had some new councillors and a new mayor... you can tell the election is coming up fast, there are footpaths and other useless things being put in daily. lol. (There has NEVER been a footpath there and I've managed along with others in my neighbourhood quite well without it!)
      Thursday at 23:17 · · 2 people
    • David Daniel Ball There is a billboard for Zangari outside my unit. I asked him about it today. His campaign manager assures me someone gave him permission to put it there. It won't go until the end of the election .. yes two more weeks to go .. then life returns to normal.
===

Number's up for candidates

The countdown to the State Election is on, with people lining up to cast their vote early on the first day of pre-polling in Cabramatta.

The countdown to the State Election is on, with people lining up to cast their vote early on the first day of pre-polling in Cabramatta.

LABOR candidates have lucked out on the Fairfield, Smithfield and Cabramatta ballot papers, with not one candidate drawing prime position for the March 26 poll.

Liberal candidate Charbel Saliba grabbed top spot in Fairfield, ahead of Labor candidate Guy Zangari, to take the “psychological advantage”. Independent David Ball drew last spot.

“It feels good,” Mr Saliba said.

“It’s a psychological factor and not much else.

“At the end of the day it is the party with the most credibility that’s going to win.”

In Smithfield, Christian Democrat Manny Poularas, representing the Fred Nile Group, drew top place on the ticket, while Liberal candidate Andrew Rohan drew the short straw.

“I’m very excited,” Mr Poularas said. “I don’t believe in luck, I believe in higher powers.”

Greens candidate Astrid O’Neill was second in the ballot draw, followed by sitting Labor MP Ninos Khoshaba, with Mr Rohan in last position.

Mr Khoshaba called for residents to look at each candidate closely before they voted.

“I wish everyone luck,” he said.“I think every seat will be won on the day, it’s going to be very close.”

Mr Rohan was unfazed about being on the bottom of the ballot paper.

“I think being last on the list is symbolic of my status as being the underdog in this battle, so I’m happy with that,” he said.

In Cabramatta, sitting Labor MP Nick Lalich was unconcerned at drawing last, in what will be a hotly contested seat. “I have got no problem with my place on the ballot paper,” he said.

First-time Greens candidate Daniel Griffiths drew first place on the ticket, while Liberal Dai Le drew third place, below Christian Democrat Peter Tadros.

- I wrote .. I am happy with my spot on the Fairfield Ballot. I wish all my opponents well, and hope Mr Saliba gets the job. My aim is to raise the issue of Justice for Hamidur Rahman. You don't have to vote for me to get the coroner to look at the issue again, with the aims of exonerating the parents of blame for his death. Mr Saliba tried to console me by saying it was the second best position on the ballot. I think that is true. I want people to see my name and read Hamidur Rahman.

===

No comments: