Top 5 Reasons to Give Today:
Last Chance to Make a Tax-Deductible Donation in 2011
As the year winds down, we reach out to our most important constituency, you - our supporters. We asked people to contribute, and they responded--so far we’ve raised over $18,000. Our goal is $25,000, we need your help to reach this goal. Time is almost up to make a tax-deductible gift in 2011.
Thank you to everyone who has donated so far, and if you haven't, here are the top five reasons for you to donate today to USCB.
1. Ongoing conflict and human rights abuses: More people have been displaced in the past year and a half in Burma than any other year in the past ten years. Displacement and attacks from Burma's Army against civilians continues. USCB has been instrumental in bringing this tragic situation to the world's attention, but more pressure is needed in order to stop the atrocities
2. Over 1,100 political prisoners: Despite claims of reforms many students, monks, journalists, human rights defenders, and political leaders unjustly remain behind bars, we will fight for the release of every political prisoner.
3. Congressional Support and Action: Our advocacy efforts in Washington have resulted in strong bi-partisan Congressional Support for Burma and secured more than $20 million of U.S. government funds for life saving humanitarian aid for those who struggle to survive as internally displaced persons.
4. Media Attention: USCB is crucial in getting U.S. media to pay attention to issues in Burma. Our work has been featured in more than 10,000 news articles including the New York Times, CNN, BBC, Foreign Policy and the Washington Post.
5. Grassroots Action: USCB has worked with thousands of Americans, including students, entertainers, community leaders, churches, and more to raise awareness about Burma. Tens of thousands of petitions signatures have been gathered; thousands of emails sent to President Obama, Secretary Clinton, and Congress; hundreds of letters to the editor have been sent; and many many facebook posts, tweets, and more. This is all thanks to a strong partnership between USCB staff and our amazing grassroots.
This is why we ask that you please make a tax-deductible year-end gift, so that 2012 will be the year peace prevails in Burma.
Happy New Year,
Aung Din, Jennifer, Myra, and Thelma
P.S. Already donated? Thanks so much! Please forward this message to friends and colleagues that might share your support for USCB's work